Saturday, May 26, 2012

Bryan's list


My reading list depends to a great extent on what books are available to me in print and through BobCat. Unfortunately, Kim, I can't lend you Freedom because it's in Cairo! Come visit and it's yours =). 

I did finish Freedom, tearful and exhausted on a beach in 3ain Sukhna, and am still gathering my thoughts, resisting the urge to read reviews before articulating my own understanding of the novel. Overall, though, I will say now that I was very impressed and deeply moved. 

I also have a few story ideas that I am determined to finally pump out and would love all of your opinions on. In any case, I loved reading your new posts and re-reading our old posts, and I'm looking forward to this!

Fiction/Literature
To Kill A Mockingbird (for the seventh time), Harper Lee
Freedom, Jonathan Franzen
In Search of Lost Time, Marcel Proust
The Cairo Trilogy Naguib Mahfouz
The Yacoubian Building Alaa al-Aswany

Cairo, Egypt, the Middle East, Islam
Cairo: My City, Our Revolution, Ahdaf Soueif
The State of Egypt Alaa al-Aswany
Cairo: The City Victorious Max Rodenbeck
Cairo: Histories of a City, Nezar Al-Sayyad
Islam, Karen Armstrong
Muhammad, Karen Armstrong
Desiring Arabs - "The Gay International" J.A. Massad

Economics/Marxism, really...
Debt: The First 5,000 Years David Graeber
The Communist Manifesto Karl Marx

Articles and essays on post-colonial economics, American imperialism, the Middle East, and Development
Activism From the Closet Hassan El-Menyawy - on gay rights activism in Egypt

Intersex Surgery, Female Genital Cutting, and the Selective Condemnation of “Cultural Practices” Nancy Ehrenreich

1 comment:

  1. LOL i remembered you were in Cairo moments after I submitted my post and meant to go back and edit it... oh well! I will have to resort to other sources then... :)

    ReplyDelete