Friday, May 27, 2011

Bryan's Summer Reading List (work in progress)

Fiction
The Reluctant Fundamentalist Mohsin Hamid
Contact Carl Sagan 
Heart of Darkness Joseph Conrad
Zoli Colum McCann
The Lazarus Project Aleksander Hemon
Isabel Allende
Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Kurt Vonnegut
Salman Rushdie
Jonathan Safran Foer


Latin America/Argentina/Guerra Sucia
Imagining Argentina Lawrence Thornton
The Little School: Tales of Disappearance and Survival Alicia Partnoy
A Lexicon of Terror: Argentina and the Legacies of Torture Marguerite Feitlowitz

Criminal Justice/Prisons
The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness Michelle Alexander

History
The Crusades Through Arab Eyes Amin Maalouf
The Autobiography of Malcolm X, as Told to Alex Haley
1491 - New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus Charles C. Mann
Duel: Alexander Hamilton, Aaron Burr, and the Future of America Thomas James Fleming

Philosophy/Essay
The Myth of Sisyphus Albert Camus
Richard Rodriguez
James Baldwin

Poetry

Jorge Luis Borges
Rainer Maria Rilke (I'll probably be carrying around Letters to a Young Poet like a Bible - if anyone has not read it, it is my NUMBER ONE RECOMMENDATION, and it only takes about forty minutes to read... the first time - you will be compelled to read it more than once, I promise)

Also: My goodreads account is under bryan.zubay@gmail.com! We could all become friends on there as well?

ALSO: I wrote this draft before I even read Kim's draft and so many of her recommendations are on here! I'm so exciteddddd. I also watched "Rabbit Hole" a few weeks ago. The scene with Nicole Kidman and her mother in the basement?! Gahh, I die.


SO EXCITED ABOUT THIS!

2 comments:

  1. Bryan!!! This is great! I see a theme, perhaps? An embrace of the multiplicity of perspectives? Not taking things at face value, because that face value came from one place? I love it all, esp. excited about #3!!
    Will reply to your email in a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bryan!!! I LOVE YOUR LIST!

    i didn't even know you could read my draft? Cool!

    anyways
    the end scene in the basement is possibly the most moving scene in a movie i have ever seen

    i think we need one more scene/seen in that sentence

    anyways.
    GREAT
    im going to actually post my list now

    ReplyDelete